St. Mary's School was established in 1897 by the Sisters of St. Joseph, followed in 1934 by the Good Samaritan Sisters. From 1974 the school has been under Lay Principals.
St. Mary's is a co-educational Kindergarten to Year Six school which is part of the Catholic Education System run by the Diocese of Wilcannia-Forbes. The school aims to foster the individual within our Catholic community, through the education of the mind, nurturing of the spirit and empathy with all Christian teachings, enabling them to contribute to society.
The enrolment in 2014 is 114 students.
Our Patron is Mary, Mother of Jesus. We believe that Mary displayed all the attributes on which we focus at St. Mary's - faith, hope, loyalty, compassion and obedience - hence our school motto: 'We Stand for God'.
All major events on the liturgical calendar are celebrated at St. Mary's with special emphasis on welcoming the community to our classroom/church liturgies. In 2004, St. Mary's moved to a parish-based sacramental program where priest and parents have taken over responsibility for the sacraments of Reconciliation, First Eucharist and Confirmation.
St. Mary's follows the NSW State Curriculum and also has programs operating for remedial literacy and maths,
students with special needs. Counselling facilities are available when required.
As well as NAPLAN and University of NSW Schools Competitions, students have the opportunity to be involved in many community activities which include the ANZAC Day ceremony, annual CWA Public Speaking competition and the local show.
All students are encouraged to, and have the opportunity to participate in a variety of sports and compete in Diocesan, Inter-Diocesan and State Carnivals. It is the aim of St. Mary's to give every student the opportunity to fulfil his/her potential to the fullest in every respect.
Warren is a service town for the rural population of the district and is situated some 130km west of Dubbo, the nearest large service center. Warren relies heavily on the agricultural sector. Farming in the area includes cotton, wheat, sheep and cattle as well as various smaller enterprises. The majority of our families rely on these agricultural industries for employment.
Warren Parish had its centenary in 1992.
St Mary’s School has a proud and long association with three religious orders which have
shaped our heritage and our current philosophy.
The Sisters of St Joseph, who were founded by Mary MacKillop, established St Mary’s School on 31st August 1897 and Rev. Dr Byrne consecrated the first catholic school in 1898. The first community had five sisters- Sr M Ignatius (Superior), Sisters M Columba, Scholastica, de Sales and Rose. They lived for six months in a small cottage in Ravenswood and walked to the school each day. Then they moved to a cottage close to the school owned by Mr D McAlary.This remained the sisters’ home until 1923 when the present two story convent was built next to the school. There were more than a hundred children at St Mary’s and music lessons were conducted in one of the rooms.
In 1932 new school buildings were added,
however the Sisters of St Joseph found that they could no longer staff the school and left Warren in 1933.
In 1934 the Sisters of St Joseph’s were replaced by the Sisters of the Good Samartian. Four sisters accompanied by Mother Provincial ( Mother Mary Cecily) & Sister Mary Kevin O’Brien. In 1952, the original school building was moved to make way for the new Church. The Sisters taught the children from Kinder to early secondary, until 1967 when the secondary section of the school was closed due to teaching shortages.
In 1967 the present brick Infants block was built by Harry Stubbs.
In 1970 a new Primary school was opened by Bishop Warren and remains in current use by the children of St Mary’s.
The Good Samaratians left in 1973 and the school employed its first lay principal- Mr R. Lindeman- and staff.
In 1976, two Sisters of Mercy arrived in Warren from Parkes. They were Sr M. Loreto & Sr Josephine who settled in to Parish and school support duties. Sr Loreto prepared the children in the Infants for the Sacraments of Reconciliation and Eucharist. Sr Josephine prepared the children at the Central school and also conducted Catechism lessons.
The Sisters of Mercy remained in the Parish and the last Mercy Sister, Sr Winifred McMahon celebrated her Jubilee in 1991.
St Mary’s school has continued to be staffed by lay principals and staff who strive to uphold
the legacy of the Religious orders who founded our school.